[English vocabulary: texting // Słownictwo angielskie: sms-owanie]
I got myself a brand new mobile phone the other day. I love texting (= sending a written message to sb using a mobile phone), so the size of the screen was important to me. In this new mobile I have the screen is quite big and displays (= shows) images brilliantly. I've become pretty good at pressing the keys (= buttons) and typing messages quickly, although I'm never going to beat today's teenagers with their dexterous (= very skillful) thumbs. After all, this is why they have been nicknamed 'the thumb generation'. There is a ‘but’, however: excessive use of the thumb for pressing keys on a mobile may lead to forms of the so-called repetitive strain injury (= an injury which comes from using some muscles too much and too often), so I try not to overdo (= do something too much or too often) texting.
To save time I often use the special text messaging language. Here is a message I sent to my friend yesterday:
RU in Warsaw? WOT RU up 2 2NIGHT? DO U WAN2 C ME L8R 4 A DRINK? PCM OR TEXT AFTER 4.
And to help you work it out, here goes the meaning of the text messaging symbols in standard English:
RU = are you
WOT = what 2 = to, too U = you WAN2 = want to C = see L8R = later 4 = for PCM = please call me
Why don't you try out this 'code' yourself with the next text message you write?
Give words/phrases for these definitions without looking back at the text. The number of the letters is given.
1. skillful in the use of the hands = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2. the surface on which an image is shown = _ _ _ _ _ _
3. to do something too much or too often = _ _ _ _ _ _
4. a synonym of ‘to show’ = _ _ _ _ _ _ _
5. an injury resulting from using a part of the body too intensively = repetitive _ _ _ _ _ injury
Use the words from Exercise 1 to complete the questions and then answer them.
1. Do you think you have ...................... fingers when it comes to texting?
2. Is the type and size of your mobile’s ...................... an important issue when you choose a new phone?
3. What kinds of activities do you tend to ..................... ?